Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Not a creature was stirring except for the mouse

Last night I had to sleep on the couch. Allow me to explain. I slept on the couch because I could not use my earplugs and Wade sometimes snores. I couldn't use my plugs because I have a lot of fluid in my ears. Fluid resides in my ears because I am sick yet again which makes the fifth time in about five months that I have been sick with this awful writhing cough and congestion. I took Nyquil before bed to attempt to sleep. Nyquil for me is a double edged sword. It puts me right to sleep for the first few hours, then I am wide awake in the middle of the night. Last night, a slight bit of help awoke me from my slumber. I woke to what I thought to be someone raffling with the back door. I thought to myself, this is it. I went to get Wade wondering to myself which firearm from the bedside arsenal he would choose. He got his flashlight and weaved into the dining room in a sleep filled haze. I expected to see a clan of misfits at the back door...what I saw was a mouse scrambling across the floor with its leg stuck in a trap. He took one look at it and said, 'there's your culprit', and went directly back to bed. He thought it rested in peace in its trap. Great. No bad guys came knockin, but this mouse put up a valiant fight. For the next two hours it scurried across the floor. I lay torn between wanting to flick it outside, wake up Wade to alert him to the fact that the creature previously played possum and was very much coherent,or drifting into restful sleep. I dozed in and out, intermittently awoken by the scurrying. I aspire to have a real dose of Grandpa's Cough Syrup tonight and enjoy a fair amount of uninterrupted sleep.

Here's to a solid eight hour date with your bed tonight. May you sleep tight in a pest free environment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you're back to writing! I was having withdrawals.

Unknown said...

Same thing happened to his mom, except it was a wood rat about the size of KittyKitty.