Thursday, February 11, 2010

Throwback to the Hollywood

This day started as every morning does: the dirty little alarm clock dinging the chipper songs of morning. However, this morning came even earlier with Boudreaux's sudden need to haul off and start barking bloody murder at 3 am. Seriously? Boud- unless there's an illegal bustin' through our front door, keep the wake up calls to a minimum (insert bless her heart here). Nonetheless, I rolled out of the house right on schedule at 6:15. I know there are good days and bad. We all can attest to them. I wouldn't go so far as to say that today was a total waste of make-up, but some desperate times arose that I simply must share. I tried all the tactics up my sleeve with these children sent straight from above. I tried the kind, sweet teacher who lovingly redirects. I'd say I made it through half the morning with that mode. I then escalated to the more stern version of this teacher, while maintaining the kind undertone. I hate raising my voice, you see. By 1 o'clock, I had a serious Fried Green Tomatoes flashback.

Before I say more, you must know that I have taken to wearing my boots. For some strange reason they make me feel like I have hidden super powers and whatever the kids do/say/throw at me- the boots will set me free. They make me feel closer to the northwest from here roots I at times will myself to click my heels three times and levitate to. I have worn them to the point of slickness on the bottom. By 1 o'clock, I wanted to yank open the door to my room, get a running start, and slide in to the center of the room. It gets better. I then (in this fabulous mind scenario) lunged myself on the top of one of the desks with my meter stick for a wand in my hand and screamed "TWANDA"! Since I couldn't rightfully do that without being put in a straight jacket, I rolled with it and did the best I could. At the end of the day, I couldn't help but remember Clark from Christmas Vacation after he ranted a blue streak about his boss not giving him his bonus. "Hallelujah! Holy Shit! Where's the Tylenol?!" I hate to use profanity here, but this phrase was just streaming through my mind, and it actually helped catapult me to a better place. Thanks Chevy. I really appreciate that addition to my vocabulary.

This evening, I had a banquet to go to for the mentee I have in my classroom. By this time of day, I was wicked tired and ready to eat, hear the awards, and go. Much to my hilarity, the presenter got on the podium and began to speak. Oh my holy lands. This man could not have been more of the epitome of Milton from Office Space if he tried. I had to feign a coughing fit so I could turn my face and get a hold of myself. I mean right down to the slight pauses and lisp. I realize that this comparison may be slightly crass, however, I don't think I have ever wished for a hidden tape recorder so badly in my life. It really made it worth the wait.

I guess we can thank Hollywood for providing us with these tiny little threads of humor that keep us from loosing our mind on a daily basis. Tomorrow, we head back to San Angelo for the weekend. It'll be a nice change of scenery. I'm looking forward to seeing family and friends I haven't seen in a long while. Funny how the very things you once took for granted are the things you most look forward to when taken away. Something to think about.

May your Friday be filled with flowers, chocolates, and showers of beauty in the precursor to the holiday of love. How's that for some sap? Have a fine Friday.

No comments: