Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Faith

On my drive to work this morning, fog once again thickened the air like a thick gray cloud of steam. Fog especially troubles me, mainly because it confuses me. It's like a freak of nature. As I drove, several cars passed me. Just a few feet after passing me, the headlights disappeared into the thick environment and were no more. I knew quite surely that they were there, for they had just physically passed me on the highway. However, I could not see to prove their presence in front of me. In my daily life, I know full well that the Lord is there to hold my hand and guide me through the deftest of circumstances- but I can not see Him. Sometimes, I need that tangible reinforcement. The reassuring hug that slowly dissipates the worries that ail the mind. Today, I found myself carefully put in place and reminded that faith prevails- no matter the situation...

A woman and her husband enter in to marriage about three years ago, prepared to tackle the ups and downs that life may throw their way. Each day merits a gift and a newness and depth creeps into their relationship over time, sealing their bond into unbreakable. The husband serves in the Air Force, and shortly after their vows were spoken, he received the call to Iraq. What a bittersweet time to truly test the solidity of their relationship. Luckily, the time passed quickly, and before they knew it, the homecoming celebration came to fruition, and God brought them safely together again. Since the 'I do's', the wife prayed fiercely for God to work a miracle in her husband's heart and show him His presence, for her husband had not accepted the Lord. A few years passed, and the inevitable baby bug took hold of their hearts. The product? A precious baby boy born this past summer. All the while, they went to church each Sunday, and she continued to pray that the Lord would speak to her husband's heart and he hear the Lord knocking. This week, they went to Walgreen's to pick up a few items. The man in front of them was heavy set and seemed overly concerned with the amount of groceries accumulating in the bags. Her husband told the man that if money was the issue, he would gladly help him out. The man replied that it was not the money that concerned him, simply that he was diabetic and his feet gave him trouble. He did not want to strain himself as he had to walk home. They offered to give him a ride home, finding that he lives in the same neighborhood making it easy to assist him in the future. In church this past Sunday, she could tell that her husband dealt internally with some thoughts. She asked if he wanted her to go forward with him, and he said yes. As they waited in line, she continued to pray that the Lord touch his heart. When they reached the pastor, her husband began to ask that the pastor please pray for this man that he might be healed, because he knew the incredible healing powers of prayer. After this request for prayer, he accepted the Lord. Reflecting, she said, my selfish nature prayed for my husband the entire time to accept the Lord. In reality, the Lord placed that man at Walgreen's in his path to help lead him to Him.

Life is a maze of twists and turns, ups and downs, surety and insecurity- one thing that never fails is the fact that faith conquers all. Even when we feel at wits end, the ability to let go and let God is the only way to achieve true faith through He that holds the map of our eternal existence.

To L.G. and M.G.- a real reflection of the power of prayer.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

angie, i will comment on this as soon as i get done reading it so now you have 2 comments!!

Unknown said...

Ang, good one, so true, that you never know who or what will touch your heart