Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Pinto and the Illegal

I looked forward to the pot of beans slowly seeping flavor into their tiny selves all day long. Food fight in the cafeteria? No worries, I go home to a lovely meal in a few hours. Want to try throwing your egg roll at me? Go for it, I now have water to shower all the filth away. All these food issues made me think of the fact that I just love a good pot of pintos. I've tasted many different kinds, but none can compare to Wade's flavorful blend. Some try to church them up with vinegar or beer and the like. The reality is, you just can't church up a pinto.

On my way home, my taste buds preparing themselves for the explosion awaiting, I phoned Wade to check his 20. He told me he was just driving around. I know him well enough to know that if he's 'driving around', there's a good possibility that an animal/varmint is involved in his drive. Today humans of the illegal kind were involved. Apparently, five amigo fresh-out-of-Mexico hombres traipsed straight down the main ranch road. This is not out of the ordinary in these parts. However, this is slightly disturbing as this is the road I often run. Surely these folks aren't violent, but whose to say. I am a little skittish when it comes to running and being caught off guard. Once I went to run at the KOA in San Angelo early in the morning before sunrise. It's really dark out there. My solution? A couple of years ago one of Wade's hunters brought him a huge duffel bag full of various kinds of glow sticks. Some were the hand held kind, but some were semi-circular disks with sticky adhesive on the back. Here's the visual you are looking for- I stuck three of the self adhesive suckers to my chest and back and brandished a hand held glow stick in each hand. It probably looked like an alien invasion coming around the bend. I came around the last bend, which is quite creepy, when I heard a loud "Crack" come from behind me. You'd have thought I had nun-chucks in my hand the way I whizzed around ready to combat the culprit that lay before me. The culprit was one of the adhesive glow patches that fell off and cracked. Feeling like a dunce, I quickly finished my run and zoomed off into the slowly rising sun. Now do you understand what I mean by skittish? I can't imagine coming across a haul of illegals... Maybe I should get a shoulder holster and run with my piece. It's getting to be rattlesnake season anyhow.

I hope we all remember to enjoy the simple things in life, like the odd bowl of pintos and running with glow sticks. Hope your Thursday is just a big bowl of laughs!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's my gas-powered, glow-in-the-dark, pistol-packing,high-speed, wetback-hunting D-I-L. Powerful visual, that is, right there.

Erica said...

Angela, Your life sounds so exciting. Thanks for posting.

Erica