Friday, March 5, 2010

Flippin' Friday

I should have known that this day was destined for greatness when I realized midday that the culprit of my discomfort came from the fact that I had my underwear on backwards. This really sets the tone for the day...

I had a ticket store set up today for those students that turned in all their homework for the six weeks. They could choose different prizes based on the number of tickets they earned. I ventured out yesterday to fetch all the trinkets needed to stock said store, and started today with high hopes. I opened the store and the kids began to come through with their tickets to pick out their treasure. I heard a comment of, I have this many tickets and this is all I get? I can be hard headed at times, it's in my genes I am afraid. Not to mention that my love language is giving gifts- it makes me feel good. I don't know about you, but we were raised to appreciate everything given to us. On my drive home, I managed to pinpoint some of the problem. In the words of the Berenstain Bears, they've got "A Case of the Gimmies". If I exhibited this type of behavior at school, my Dad would have gone straight for the board, which is still in action today with all of our signatures on it from each lick we earned. My redemption? Loading up all the items of the store and carting it right back into the return aisle after school this afternoon. What happened to the Little House mixed with modern day values? This scenario parallels with good and evil. The devil has so many tricks to entice and tempt, until the sin covers over the grace. The good that was instilled intrinsically in us has turned into the 'what's in it for me' attitude of today.

Wade is outside stoking the fire for our meat snack. In the background, on the TV, people are hunting Nutria out of an air boat in Louisiana. While I find this oddly amusing, I did not think it noteworthy enough to go and alert him to its presence. He just stalked in here and reprimanded me for not pausing or recording it. Have no fear- we found its coming on again on Sunday and have it all set to record. I think it's called Predator Nation and can be found on one of the myriad outdoor channels we have. I do get a hysterical visual of Wade and I posted up on either end of an airboat with our long guns and ear muffs hunting Nutria. Apparently they are to Louisiana's wetlands what feral hogs are to us. What a pair we are...

I enter this weekend with a vision of relaxation and down time with Boudini the Great. I also enter it with a thought provoking topic in mind: When you start your day with your panties on backwards, expect fascinating events to follow.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can always count on you for a good laugh!!!

Unknown said...

Kinda puts a new twist to the old saying "put on your big girl panties, and deal with it"
Love you,

Dad#2