Saturday, April 3, 2010

Good Friday

Apparently, I have no immunity to the myriad illnesses circulating in this South Texas air. Not more than two months ago, I found myself in this same predicament. I felt it coming on Thursday and thought to myself, this can't be happening?! I just got over this crud not too long ago. My parents are coming down for Easter weekend, and Wade's family is coming down next week for his birthday, so a sickness just won't do. I did not have to work yesterday as we were released from duty in honor of Good Friday. I woke up yesterday at 5:30 with a sick affinity to be the first one at the walk-in clinic door. This could have something to do with the fact that the average wait time of my previous experiences was at least three hours. I just didn't find that prudent yesterday. I threw on my glad rags and hauled myself over to the clinic. I wheeled into the parking lot at ten of seven. Like clockwork, cars started slowly creeping in to the parking lot to stake their claim. I lost all regard for what my next move might look like. I got out of my car and stood right in front of the door, determined to be first to sign in and make a clean getaway! I couldn't help but hear 'Eye of the Tiger' in my mind. I felt like Rocky preparing for a big fight. My plan worked. I was out of there by 7:30. I am now taking another bout of antibiotics and cough syrup in hopes that I caught it early enough for it to make a quick exit of my system...one can hope.

When I arrived home mid morning, Wade and I went over to Corpus to get our eye exams. I have to have mine every year to get contacts,however, Wade hasn't had one in years. It never fails that the person slightly off kilter with their attitude will be the one to help Wade. Expect no less in this case. He wanted to try and wear contacts in order to correct his blurry vision. Learning to wear contacts is difficult, more so I think at a later age. The lady kept sighing at him and telling him that's not the way you do it...and Ding! Ding! Ding! Here we go...it was like participating in the ski jump, everything went down hill until the grand finale of soaring down the hill at cat like speeds until the finish line, a.k.a. the truck. The contact situation clearly would not work, so we ambled next door to look at the glasses. The line was quite long, but we decided to stick it out. Of course by the time it was our turn, she called the insurance company to verify the amount of coverage, and their office had closed. Isn't this about par. Now the analogy would be somewhat comparable to an avalanche. I kind of wanted to melt into the floor.

In the midst of it all, I am reminded of the importance of this weekend. The sacrifice of our Lord to face trial and tribulation and pay the ultimate price for our sins. What a glorious day tomorrow represents. He is risen and alive to save us from ourselves. I will leave you with the chorus of a song called 'Lead me to the Cross':

Lead me to the cross where Your love poured out,
Bring me to my knees, Lord, I lay me down
Rid me of myself, I belong to You,
Oh, lead me, lead me to the cross.

Wishing you all a wonderful Easter weekend.

No comments: