Thursday, January 21, 2010

Deep Fog

This morning on my monotonous journey to school, the fog engulfed my car like smoke fumes dancing around the outskirts of a blaze. Fog seemingly enveloped the atmosphere so that the only thing left on the planet lay five feet in front of me. I found myself spinning in confusion as if driving straight into the twilight zone, or into a Sanford & Son episode where at any moment I would break out with ,"I'm coming to see ya Margaret..." My mind began to wonder what it must be like for those living a life without the Lord. Life must be a constant heavy fog inhibiting the existence of true happiness coming to fruition. I will tell you, if 3 p.m. had not come when it did yesterday, I may well have grabbed my purse and sianara'd myself right on out of the building. A true test of patience and frankly endurance. The chorus of that Mercy Me song was streaming through my head- "Give me a revelation, Show me what to do". At the time, I really did not think the Lord chose to process my request because the afternoon tutoring session continued right along with the mayhem of the day. Kids out of their seats with their infinite questions beginning with "miss". Oh, did I not tell you I had a name change? By popular demand I went ahead and thought I would give the one-namer a try. You know, like Madonna? Except I'm just "miss". In case you can't tell, this is an astronomical pet peeve of mine. The thought eludes me why I am unable to be addressed by my name. Pick your battles, right? I digress- back on track. Even though I thought my plea sat in line at His feet, my answer came on the drive home yesterday afternoon. As I neared the turn off for the straight away to our abode, literally thousands of birds flew above me in their perfect V formations. My mind had to stop to process for a moment. How do they know where they are going? Where will they end up? The light bulb in my brain immediately illuminated. They are driven by an internal instinct placed so carefully and intricately into the plan for their existence. The same is true for me. Sometimes at the end of the day, I walk to my car literally thinking- who am I, where am I, what am I doing? He knows the answers. Even when I am navigating through the fog of life and questions abound to seem unanswerable- He knows the path he has laid out for our lives. Precisely. Just like the birds so effortlessly flying with faith of returning to their destination, so should I fly with the same esteem.

When navigating the heavy fogs of doubt, unsurity, and frustration, we must know that just like the birds, He knows exactly where we are headed and it's no mistake- for He is at the helm.

No comments: