Friday, January 15, 2010

Truckin' in the Rain

Today it rained. Not just your average shower with a rainbow to clear the sky, terd floating rain. All day... This sat well with me. Today was a work day at school and it just so happens that the good old- fashioned down home cooking cafe on the square will bring food straight to the back door of the school. An added perk I must say. The day passed quickly and before I knew it, I was navigating the nasty flooded roadways home. One problem I might add with rain in these parts- no mountains exist to offset the flow. I take that back, the highest point in town is likely the speed bumps. Needless to say, the streets and roadways flood. I began my trek back to the range. In full auto pilot mode I cranked up the tunes, and found myself lost in a little Boom Boom Pow. Out of nowhere a trucker came whizzing by me at what I am sure are completely unacceptable speeds during such monsoons as this. I thought to myself, what a jerk! During my favorite part of the song, he completely stole my thunder and made me put both hands on the wheel (previously I had one hand in the air chair dancing to the song). Action had to be taken. I slowly pressed the gas just enough to get up next to him on the two lane. My best "who do you think you are" look just waited to be unleashed. I crept next to his window. Wouldn't you know he looked like an actual good ole' boy. I obviously was not expecting this. Dadgummit! The mesh- backed trucker hat complete with the plaid shirt and wad of chaw in his mouth. Just a guess, but if rain had not been slightly distorting my view, I bet there was a nice little cup holder attached on the window for his spitoon. I had to laugh. This reminded me of home, you see. Just a good ole' boy heavy haulin' from point A to point B.

This whole encounter eludes to the moral of the story: home is where the heart is. It may not necessarily be where you would choose on a map to plant yourself, but it's what you make of it that counts. Accepting life's challenges while putting on a smile and making lemonade from lemons can be a real pip. However, once you accept life as it comes and trust that your plan is predestined, life seems a little brighter. Here's to home and all the joy family brings... and to the oblivious trucker who graciously inspired this tribute.

Happy weekend!

No comments: